Updates from previous blog post
- 20 Aug: Applied directly to ClimateForce: Antarctica 2018 Expedition. The trip is planned for 27 Feb to 12 Mar 2018
-> 26 Aug: Got Accepted. I am currently working on fund raising for the trip. Wrote a note on Facebook here.
- 21 Aug: Applied for YSEALI Summit 2017 happening in Manila Oct 17-22.
-> Results supposedly out 1 Sep
- 21 Aug: Applied for CDL E-Generation Challenge 2017.
-> Top 10 finalist announced 5 Sep. The winner is only announced 3 Nov. (Long story. But can read my FB note above).
Freebies in August
- 6 Aug: Complimentary tickets from S to watch Jane Goodall. I gave the other one to C.
- 20 Aug: Complimentary tickets from M to watch Tristram Stuart. This was just a story of kind acts being rewarded. I had earlier received a ticket from GA to go. And S had earlier received a ticket from EG to go. We both didn’t know about it, and separately had passed our tickets to other friends who were interested too- I passed mine to C. A day before the event M contacted to say he had a pair and couldn’t go, and so he passed it to me. I offered it to S, and we were like.. this is the Universe talking right here!
- 23 Aug: Tickets from M to watch Anthar Agni. I had seen her post saying she couldn’t go, and so I asked for it. I gave the other one to C.
- 24 Aug: Complimentary tickets from E to watch Kain Chik Dua Mungka. He watched the preview and passed me his event day tickets. I gave the other one to C.
- 26 Aug: Free seafood box from S. He had contacted me earlier in the month. All I had to do was to review it, and write however I want. I had also requested to visit one of his farms. So I did that, and then had the seafood box. It was good. I have 2 FB updates on this one.
And this is just in addition to all the free food I get from my aunt when I was at my grandma’s place, and when we go out for meals. I lost track of it all.
Things just suddenly took a turn for me this month.
- 22 Aug: M (different from the above two Ms) asked if I wanted to be her Youth Editor. I have yet to get back to her.
- 23 Aug: The other M asked me to apply to be a Programme Manager for her organisation
- 24 Aug: LJ shared something, but I was not familiar with the company and didn’t want to follow up.
- 26 Aug: J shared her company is looking for an Events person. I liked how it was described and asked to meet her boss next week, before I leave for Malaysia.
- 28 Aug: Today I met my FA and she suggested something.
Sometimes I feel I am too selective. But then to be fair to myself, I think I know what I want, in terms of preference, and how I see the need to join a company which would be open to having this hippie in it. If not, there’s always the freelancer life.
Stories of Coincidences
- 24 Aug: Bumped into J and his wife at the shopping mall, and then we realised we live 1km away from each other. // 25 Aug: Bumped into J and his wife at Singapore Night Festival.
- 24 Aug: I was texting my Singaporean friend now based in Jakarta if we could do breakfast the next day before she goes back to JKT. Separately, my old boss was also texting me to have coffee. Both of them suggested the same place/ and I thought hey, convenience, especially cos it’s one after the other. 25 Aug: Turns out when my old boss came over, he knew who my friend was!
- 25 Aug: I thought I saw J at Arab Street but didn’t approach her. // 26 Aug: When I met J, we confirmed it was here.
The Tristram Stuart ticket incident was also a coincidence I feel.
Have you ever felt like suddenly things are moving in the right places for you?
I went for a Breathing Circle back on 25 Apr, and to wrap up the session, we picked cards. I forgot what mine was called, but I remember it was about “Abundance”. Ms. Faizah asked me what I thought it meant. And I said I was reminded of rice paddy fields, and the idea of having lots of food. And someone mentioned maybe ‘abundance’ doesn’t always have to mean financial abundance, but abundance of love, and energy as well. And I think partly it’s true. It’s happening.
And then on 10 Jun when I went to Singapore Really Really Free Market and had two readings done (I mentioned it briefly in my post titled “Sparrow”).. One was a tarot card reading, and the other was a calculation based on my birth date. The 2nd guy mentioned something like this would be my ‘slow year’ and I’ll get busy next year. I don’t know but it feels that way too.
On 23 Aug, for whatever reason, I was reminded why I have the “Follow your bliss” quote by Joseph Campbell in my email signature. It was because of this story. I cannot tell you enough how much I believe in this story.
BILL MOYERS: Do you ever have the sense of… being helped by hidden hands?
JOSEPH CAMPBELL: All the time. It is miraculous. I even have a superstition that has grown on me as a result of invisible hands coming all the time – namely, that if you do follow your bliss you put yourself on a kind of track that has been there all the while, waiting for you, and the life that you ought to be living is the one you are living. When you can see that, you begin to meet people who are in your field of bliss, and they open doors to you. I say, follow your bliss and don’t be afraid, and doors will open where you didn’t know they were going to be.
Yet it is important to note that following one’s bliss, as Campbell saw it, isn’t merely a matter of doing whatever you like, and certainly not doing simply as you are told. It is a matter of identifying that pursuit which you are truly passionate about and attempting to give yourself absolutely to it. In so doing, you will find your fullest potential and serve your community to the greatest possible extent.
JOSEPH CAMPBELL: If you follow your bliss, you put yourself on a kind of track that has been there all the while, waiting for you, and the life that you ought to be living is the one you are living. Wherever you
Since April, when I started to pray regularly, there is a need to recite the Al-Fatiha verse regularly. It’s a simple Surah, with so much meaning. Always ask for Allah’s guidance.