So it is set that I will be away from 25th Nov 10pm to 26th Dec 10pm in Peru.
The past few days, I have learnt some things about booking flights. To keep it brief;
- Different ‘fare compare’ websites will show different prices for the same travel period. Also, I find it easier to read prices in SGD$.
- Generally, coming back on a holiday, in this case, spending Christmas on the plane, will save us money.
- Different ‘fare compare’ websites will not show all possible route flights. Possibly because they do not partner with all airlines.
- In this case, the one that we found, directly from main Emirates website + directly from main LAN websites, from Singapore to Lima, cost cheaper than all the suggestions the ‘fare compare’ websites had. And this is regardless coming back straight after the conference or on Christmas day.
- It’s still cheaper to book directly from non-suggested airlines.
- For Emirates, on the return flight, choosing the later connecting flight (in leg 4) saves me SGD$400. Yes, waiting an extra 4 hour saves one SGD$400.
- For LAN, a one way trip from Sao Paolo to Lima cost about SGD$800. Compare this for a return trip Sao Paolo-Lima, Lima-Sao Paolo about SGD$700. And then compare this for a multi city trip Sao Paolo-Lima, Lima-Cuzco-Sao Paolo about SGD$820. With the SGD$400 saved earlier, I chose to drop in to Cuzco.
- It is really down to your luck I think. And number of seats available left.
- As I am writing and checking the LAN website again, for the same flight dates and options, for Sao Paolo-Lima leg, it seems the price has risen to US$1022.00.. a return trip Sao Paolo-Lima, Lima-Sao Paolo about US$592. And then compare this for a multi city trip Sao Paolo-Lima, Lima-Cuzco-Sao Paolo about US$631.25.
- I know the prices are in USD. But basically, return flights are cheaper than one way flights. And adding one city adds on minimally.
How is your experience booking flights like?
So here’s my schedule..
As a special courtesy to our passengers, in certain cases where an itinerary calls for a longer stopover in Dubai, Emirates will provide accommodation, meals, ground transportation and visa costs.
This service is available to:
- First Class and Business Class passengers for whom the best connection time is not available and they get a transit of more than six hours and less than 24 hours upon arrival in Dubai. (Further conditions apply*)
- Economy Class passengers for whom the best connection time is not available and they get a transit of more than eight hours and less than 24 hours upon arrival in Dubai. (Further conditions apply*)